Hama is named after Chief Hama’s village in the Chilimanzi Reserve (Tribal Trust Land), located south of Mvuma (Umvuma) in Chirumhanzu District, Midlands Province.
In 1912, Jesuits started St. Joseph’s Mission. Chief Hama initially welcomed the Jesuits, but later opposed their efforts. Nonetheless, between 1914 and 1916, the Jesuits opened a number of schools within a few miles of the mission and baptized approximately 200 new converts.
- 1975.07.01 – Opened as a Postal Agency.
- 1978.09.13 – Closed following an attack during the Bush War.
- 1980.11.17 – Re-opened.