ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FEDERATION OF RHODESIA & NYASALAND POSTAGE STAMPS – 1954-1963
ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF THE FEDERATION OF
RHODESIA & NYASALAND POSTAGE STAMPS 1954-1963
Following the completion of the Rhodesia and Zimbabwe Encyclopaedia, I was “persuaded”
to go further back and look at the issues during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. My collection is almost entirely centred around the territory of Southern Rhodesia, and not to any great extent the other two territories. It was therefore logical that the issues of the Federation should be handled together collectively.
For many of the RSC members who were brought up in any of the three territories the first
stamps they would have seen on a regular basis would be those issued during the Federal
period. I can well recall the excitement that was generated when a new issue about to be
released. On one issue, in particular, was released on my tenth birthday!
There were only eleven issues of stamps (including two postage dues) during this period, with a further one planned but never issued. Researching the issues during this period has been a challenge. Whilst there is a fair amount of published material for the 1954 definitive, this is not the case for the 1959 definitive. The Mashonaland Guide has been a useful source of material but here are gaps that have been identified.
Whilst I, personally, have a fairly extensive collection of the varieties found in all the issues, I had not built up a collection of imprints, cylinder blocks and other important information. I am therefore very reliant of being able to study material held in members collections. I know that the material as it is being released will have gaps and I would therefore be very grateful if members can provide additional this material.
I have had a significant amount of material provided already and am most grateful to the
following members that have assisted:
Pat Flanagan, Keith Harrop, Adrian de Bourbon, Jamie Smith, Christopher Cooksey, Phil Clarke, Dave Trathen, Dave Cooper and Andrew Wilson. I will in advance also like to thank Sean Burke who downloaded this material on to the RSC website.
Please peruse the files and feedback comments, criticisms and, more specifically, more
information and additional material. This has been a big project but one that goes to the heart of the Study Circle’s aims and objectives. Please contact me by email at
- Recess printing
- Photograuvure printing
- 1954 First Definitive (Updated, January, 2022)
- 1954 First Definitive – Waterlow Archive (Updated, January, 2022)
- 1955 Victoria Falls Centenary (Updated, January, 2022)
- 1959 Postage Due Provisionals (Updated, January, 2022)
- 1959 Second Definitive (New! January, 2022)
- 1960 Kariba (New! January, 2022)
- 1961 Postage Due labels (New! January, 2022)
- 1961 Mining Congress (New! January, 2022)
- 1962 Airmail London to Rhodesia (New! January, 2022)
- 1963 World Tobacco Congress (New! January, 2022)
- 1963 Red Cross Centenary (New! January, 2022)
- 1963 Young Men’s Service Clubs (New! January, 2022)
- 1963 10th Anniversary (Unissued) (New! January, 2022)