One of the early missionary couples stationed at Chikore were Rev. Thomas and Estelle King of the American Board Mission (ABM), who served at both Chikore Mission and Mt. Selinda Mission between 1908 and 1920.
The Kings retired from ABM in 1920, returning to Southern Rhodesia a year later to live on their farm located near Chikore named Craigmore. It appears the farm was named in honor of Rev. King’s place of birth – Craigmore, County Londonderry, Ireland.
Rev. King opened a store on the farm that he continued to manage until his death in 1947. Farms in Southern Rhodesia had a store for the sale of basic goods, mainly for farm workers and people living nearby. When residents of an area asked for a postal agency, it was invariably established in such a farm store, with a portion of the counter used for postal work.
Originally a postal agency under Umtali and later Chimpinga. Mail service was by runner.
- 01.06.1925 – Opened as Postal Agency
- 01.09.1954 – Regraded as a Post & Telegraph Agency
- 01.12.1966 – Regarded as a Money and Telegraph Office