Churches of Christ: Nhowe Mission
Churches of Christ
Nhowe Mission is located near Macheke, Mashonaland East, Zimbabwe. The mission and mission school were established 1939-41 by W. L. Brown, affiliated with the American (a cappella) Churches of Christ.
By the mid-1950’s, the mission faced possible closure due to shortage of personnel and funding. University Avenue Church of Christ in Austin, Texas assumed responsibility for the mission in 1957.
In the early 1970’s, Jerry Masaraure became the first African mission Headmaster. Eventually, administration of the entire mission came under local control. The Nhowe Mission school currently serves around 1,500 students in both the primary and secondary schools (preschool through equivalent of U.S. high school). Students include both day and boarding students.
The Nhowe Bible School was established in 1958 to train native preachers. In 1971 the school was moved to Mutare under sponsorship of the Hillcrest Church of Christ in Abilene, Texas and renamed the Mutare School of Preaching.
In 2002, the Nhowe Mission Hospital was completed. It is also known as Brian Lemons Memorial Hospital named after a missionary serving at Nhowe who was killed in a car accident after returning to the U.S. to attend college. The hospital “offers comprehensive care including inpatient and outpatient medical wards, a pediatric ward, a surgical ward, and a maternity ward.” The hospital serves approximately 5,000 patients each month.
Other early Church of Christ missionaries include Boyd Reece, Cecil Hook, Marjorie Sewell, Ann Burns, Roy Palmer, Dick Clark, Loy Mitchell and Jesse Brown.