Chirundu Sugar Estates Ltd

Chirundu Sugar Estates Ltd

Chirundu

 

In 1953, UK sugar sugar refiner Tate and Lyle established a sugar cane plantation at Chirundu on the south bank of the Zambesi. In 1954 it leased 1,600 hectares from the Southern Rhodesia Government.

Sugar refined at Chirundu was taken to Ndola to be refined and sold in Northern Rhodesia. The company established a refinery at Ndola in May 1960, as well as taking over Rhodesia Sugar Refineries.

In the course of 1966, Rhodesia Sugar Refineries and Tate and Lyle decided to close Chirundu Sugar Estates at the end of the 1966 harvest. Officially, the grounds given for the decision were economic ones.

Contributors
  • James Gavin

FB