The Chimanimani Hotel is based at the foothills of the Chimanimani Mountains, surrounded by beautiful gardens. Mr and Mrs Townsend-Green began construction in 1951 and the hotel was officially opened as the Chimanimani Arms on 21st March, 1953. However, issues with the construction of the new main road leading into Melsetter, resulted in few visitors staying at the hotel. After six months, the hotel closed and would remain so for 18 months.
When the hotel re-opened, the Townsend-Greens had relinquished their interest in the hotel and the name was changed to Chimanimani Chalet and later the Chimanimani Hotel.
In 1991, the Zimbabwe Tourism Investment Commission (ZITC) was formed to manage tourism interests under the name Rainbow Tourism Group (RTG). The hotel fell under the management of RTG until 2000 when the group disposed of the hotel.
In 2014, Hotels and Leisure Africa signed a 10 year deal to the run the hotel and casino and injected $500,000 into its refurbishment. The hotel continues to operate today as a hotel and casino, and the grounds are used for camping.
- The Story Of Melsetter – Shirley Sinclair
- James Gavin