Cecil Hotel was originally opened c.1890. In 1897 a new building was erected (as above) by Mssrs Snodgrass and Mitchell in preparation for the railway. The first Cecil Taxi, a 1929 Dodge, was used solely to go from the Cecil Hotel to the railway station and back. The hotel eventually became part of Miekle’s Associated Hotels.
In the 1950’s a third version of the hotel was built and in November, 1974, at a cost of $1.7m.
- Rhodesiana Vol. 21 (PDF)
- James Gavin
- Walter Herdzik