In 1902, prospector/explorer, William Collier, shot and killed a Roan Antelope on the banks of the Luanshya River, discovering a copper deposit in the process. The antelope fell to the ground, its head resting on a rock where an exposed seam of copper ore was visible. The mining company eventually formed to exploit Collier’s find was Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd.
In 1927, Roan Antelope Copper Mines was incorporated by Rhodesian Selection Trust Group to develop a mine, concentrator and smelter at the site. The first ore was hoisted 4 years later commencing production that continued until 2000. On 1st July, 1954, Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd ceased to be organised under the British Corporations Act and became incorporated under the Northern Rhodesia Company Ordinance. The peak production was in 1960 with 105,000 tonnes of copper.
The Zambian copper industry, including Roan Antelope, was nationalised in 1970, culminating in the formation of Zambian Consolidated Copper Mines in 1982. However, following the privatisation program that the Zambian government instituted in 1997, Roan Antelope was bought by an Indian based group that formed Roan Antelope Mining Corporation of Zambia, which was placed in receivership in late 2000.
Following heavy rains in 2001, the Luanshya dam overflowed, the Luanshya workings were flooded and the mine was officially closed permanently.
Allenwest (Z) Ltd was incorporated in the republic of Zambia on April 21st 1965 as a subsidiary of Allenwest Electrical Limited of Brighton in the UK. The company is one of the pioneering electrical engineering companies in the country.
In the mid nineteen eighties the company became wholly Zambian owned under the Chipoza Holdings Group of Companies. Allenwest (Z) Limited is the country appointed distributor for Allenwest Electrical of the UK and GE Industrial Systems of South Africa.
Allenwest (Z) Ltd is involved in the manufacture of Factory Built Assemblies (FBAs) and special purpose control panels to high quality and technical standards. The company is also a vendor of control and automation products, switchgear, electrical equipment and electric motors. Some of these products are listed hereunder.
The Inter-Continental brand was established in 1946 by Juan Trippe, founder of Pan American Airways as a division of Pan Am. In early 1966, ICH decided to open a hotel in Lusaka, Zambia. The building was designed by William B. Tabler who was known for designing hotels for efficiency rather than charm. The interiors were designed by Neal Prince.
Under the direction of Mr. Prince, each Inter-Continental Hotel was designed and created to give each guest the feeling of the local culture, thus giving each Hotel is own personality. The interior art was designed by Randolph Beaumont: a pseudonym name of New York artist Mr. Stanley Linder. Linder was called to create the art as Prince could not locate artisits in the local area that would have been able to supply each room with framed hanging art.
Mr. Linder created various renderings that were copied through the Block Print processed, framed and signed under his pseudonym name. These Prints were samples of what were actually hung in the Guest rooms and Suite rooms to create that local personality of the Hotel. The Hotel opened to the public in 1968 with great success.
Today, Intercontinental Lusaka provides international travelers with an ideal 5 star location for their stay. A choice of Lusaka’s leading Restaurant are found within the hotel, which offer a wide choice of International cuisines along with an extensive Health Club and a 24hrs Business Center. The Hotel boasts of 9 meeting rooms equipped to host events from a private business meeting to large conferences. The ideal ‘Meeting Place’ offers state-of-the art audiovisual and high speed Internet connectivity. Intercontinental Lusaka will make your stay very successful and you will enjoy the warm Zambian culture and hospitality.