Churches of Christ: Namwianga Mission

Churches of Christ

Namwianga Mission

Namwianga Mission was founded near Kaloma, Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) by Churches of Christ missionaries Dow and Helen (Alice) Merritt in 1932 (the Merritt’s first arrived in 1926). Encompassing 6,000 acres, the mission originally consisted of three separate farms that were consolidated during the 1940s and 1950s.

The mission began primary schools in the 1930s to promote the Christian faith and to teach students to read the Bible. In the 1960s, Dr. George Benson, along with Dow Merritt, raised enough money to build a high school, currently the Namwianga Christian Secondary School. In the early 1990s, Namwianga Mission partnered with the University of Zambia to establish George Benson Christian College (named in Dr. Benson’s honor), which is a three-year college that trains students to teach at the secondary level.

Other facilities include the Namwianga Mission Hospital (formerly Namwianga Zonal Health Center) treating more than 10,000 patients per year, farm, radio station, and “The Haven” in-home orphan care. The orphanage operates four homes that support infants, toddlers, children with special needs and the fourth home, named “Eric’s House, for older boys.

In addition to the Merritt’s, early missionaries at Namwianga include Mrs. Ray Lawyer, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Shewmaker, Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Hobby, Myrtle Rowe, and Alva and Margaret Rees. Dow Merritt’s son, Roy, together with his wife Kathi, returned to Namwianga Mission sometime in 1968-69 to teach at the high school and have continued to serve at the mission over many years.

Namwianga Mission is currently operated by Zambia Christian College, which goes by the name Zambia Mission Fund. The mission has been supported as a “permanently funded work” of the Prescott Church of Christ church in Texas, since 2006.

Facilities

  • George Benson Christian College
  • Namwianga Christian Secondary School
  • Namwianga Mission Hospital
  • The Haven In-Home Orphan Care

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis

FB

Roman Catholic Church: Archdiocese of Lusaka

Roman Catholic Church

Archdiocese of Lusaka

The Vicariate Apostolic of Lusaka was elevated to an archdiocese on 25 April 1959. The first Archbishop was Adam Kozłowiecki (1911-2007) of the Society of Jesus.

References

FB

Postcards: Hood & Co Ltd – Sanbride Livingstone Memorial Museum

Hood & Co Ltd

Sanbride Livingstone Memorial Museum

No.sDescriptionEarliest PMK Date
N/ABasketwork
N/ACarved Wooden Porringer
N/ANative Pottery

FB

Livingstone Museum

Livingstone Museum

Livingstone

The Livingstone Museum is the largest and the oldest museum in Zambia, established in the 1934 as the David Livingstone Memorial Museum and was located in the old Magistrate’s Court building.

In 1937 it moved to the United Services Club building. In 1939, The Rhodes-Livingstone Institute was started and incorporated with the David Livingstone Memorial Museum. In 1939 the collection was expanded to include relics of Cecil Rhodes and the British South African Company. In 1946, the Museum and the Institute were separated and the Museum’s name changed to the ‘Rhodes-Livingstone Museum’.

In 1945, fund-raising for a Museum building started. Work on the building started in 1949 and was completed in 1950. It was designed by Major W J Roberts in Spanish style. Jock Millar, former mayor of Livingstone, requested that Harry Susman donate a ‘four-faced’ tower clock to the museum, but before it was unveiled in the museum, Susman died. The museum was officially opened in 1951.

In 1956 the museum was a trustee, along with National Monuments Commission of Northern Rhodesia (later the National Museums Board) and the Wenner-Gren Foundation, of the excavation of the Kalambo Falls Prehistoric Site.

In 1960 the museum recreated villages from five ethnic groups to give visitors a sense of traditional tribal life and to present the “way of life during the bronze and iron age.” In 1963 a research wing was added to the museum building to provide workspace and storage rooms for Archaeology, Ethnography and History. In 1966 a Natural History Wing was added. The name of the Museum changed from the Rhodes-Livingstone Museum to its present name of the Livingstone Museum in 1966.

The museum started publishing Occasional Papers from 1948 but published the 16 papers in 1967 as a new series titled Zambian Museum Papers, based on extensive research of Zambia’s prehistory, history, ethnography and natural history. These papers were authored by specialists in each field. The papers provide substantial information on each of the large number of exhibits systematically displayed in the museum with labels.

In 2003 the buildings were renovated with funds from the European Union. Over the years, the museum has been a trustee of numerous archaeological expeditions in Zambia.  In 2005, a statue of David Livingstone was erected in front of the museum in memory as was a statue of Emil Holub, a noted Czech doctor, explorer, cartographer, and ethnographer who made the first map of the Victoria Falls region.

The museum is laid out in five galleries namely, the Archaeology gallery, the Ethnographic gallery, the History gallery, the Art gallery and Livingstone gallery.

Postcards

References

1967 – Zambia Airways First Direct Viscount Flight between Lusaka and Blantyre

Zambia Airways First Direct Viscount Flight between Lusaka and Blantyre

5 January 1967

On Thursday, 5 January 1967, Zambia Airways’ launched the first direct jet-prop flight (QZ 808) between Lusaka and Blantyre. This new once-weekly service reduced the distance between the two cities to a mere two hour flight, and was considered a benefit to businessmen and tourists.

First Flight Covers

To mark the event, first flight covers specially franked for the occasion and carried on the first flight were sent out by Zambia Airways and Air Malawi to Government officials, Business houses and Travel Agencies in both countries.

References

FB

Samuel Koslowsky

Samuel Koslowsky

 

Samuel Koslowsky (Sam Kelly) was a Jewish man born in Latvia. When he immigrated to Northern Rhodesia, he started working as a salesman for Sid Diamond’s Standard Trading Company. Eventually, he went into the business of road transportation with Meir Rosenblatt. He eventually established a menswear business in Kitwe.

Kelly was an avid philatelist. In 1936, the Copperbelt Philatelic Society was established and Kelly was the chairman for a number of years. A number of philatelic covers exist from Koslowsky to family members in Latvia, France and Canada between 1935 to 1965.

He eventually moved to Johannesburg and died in the 1980’s.

Reference

  • Zion in Africa: The Jews of Zambia – Hugh MacMillan, Frank Shapiro
  • Horizon: The Magazine of the Rhodesian Selection Trust Group of Companies, Volume 7

FB

Postcards: Zambia National Tourism Board – Type III

Zambia National Tourism Board

Type III

No.sDescriptionEarliest PMK Date
N/AThe Mighty Victoria Falls - Zambia

FB

Postcards: Zambia National Tourism Board – Type IIA

Zambia National Tourism Board

Type IIA

No.sDescriptionEarliest PMK Date
N/AAerial View of the Victoria Falls, Zambia.26/11/1985
N/ACheetah, South Luangwa National Park, Zambia.02/08/1984
N/ARafting on the Zambezi River, Victoria Falls, Zambia22/08/1984

FB

Postcards: Zambia National Tourism Board – Type II

Zambia National Tourism Board

Type II

No.sDescriptionEarliest PMK Date
N/AAerial View of the Victoria Falls, Zambia.
N/ARafting on the Zambezi River, Victoria Falls, Zambia

FB

Postcards: Zambia National Tourism Board – Type IA

Zambia National Tourism Board

Type IA

No.sDescriptionEarliest PMK Date
N/AVictoria Falls12/07/1985

FB

1 2 3 33