Tati Concession Land
The Tati Concessions Land was a concession created in the borderlands of the Matabele kingdom and the Bechuanaland Protectorate. In 1864 Gold was discovered by Europeans in Tati River area (Tati Goldfields).
In 1870 the concession was made by the Matabele King to Sir John Swinburne’s London and Limpopo Mining Company. However, in 1880 the concession was revoked for failure to pay the annual fee, and the concession was granted instead to the Northern Light Mining Company, a syndicate formed by Danial Francis, Samuel Howard Edwards (1827–1922) and others. The Northern Light Company was later renamed the Tati Concessions Ltd.
After 1893 Tati Land was detached from Matabeleland and placed under the jurisdiction of the British Resident Commissioner of the Bechuanaland Protectorate. Tati Concessions Ltd was given the right by the British Government to issue its own Revenue Stamps in 1896 for use on legal instruments
On 21 January, 1911 Tati Land was Annexed to Bechuanaland via the Tati Concessions Land Act, with a special agreement to preserve rights of access for Rhodesian Railways.
The latest act governing and regulating this Concession is that of the “Tati Concessions Land Act of 1970”. The most controversial provision in this act can be found in Section 6, which states that “The right to all minerals and precious stones under the land in the Tati District is reserved to the Tati Concessions, Limited, and also the right of prospecting for and working the same…” The effect of this section is that mineral rights are bestowed unto this body, which is unlike other mineral rights in Botswana which are governed by Section 3 of the “Mines and Minerals Act of 1999” to the effect that all minerals within Botswana, with the exception of Tati Concessions, are the property of the Republic of Botswana.