Bulawayo Public Library
The Bulawayo Public Library was founded 1896 when the European settlers established public libraries to cater for their information, recreational, educational and cultural needs. A twelve man library Committee was chosen to run the facility and their major role was to fundraise for the library.
A foundation stone of the 8th Avenue /Fort Street site was laid on the 5th of November 1897 by Lord Milner during his visit for the opening of the Railway. In 1902 the library also house The Rhodesia Museum.
Since its establishment the library has remained popular to many readers in the city of Bulawayo and the whole of the Southern Region. The services that this library provides are largely as a result of enthusiasm and energy given over many years by the committees,librarians as well as staff members. The institution is registered in terms of the welfare Organizations Act (Chapter 93).
Defence Act 1926
The 1926 Defence Act stipulated compulsory military call up for all European males from the age of 18 years. It made provision to establish a permanent territorial force in the form of two battalions and cadet corp.
- Bush War Rhodesia 1966-1980, Volume 17 – Peter Baxter
National Services (Armed Forces) Act 1940
In 1940, Southern Rhodesia passed legislation allowing the authorities to call up any male British subject of European ancestry aged between 19 and a half and 25 who had lived in the colony for at least six months for war service. The minimum age was reduced to 18 in 1942. Part-time training was compulsory for all white males between 18 and 55, with a small number of exceptions for those in reserved occupations.
Leopard Rock Hotel
Leopard Rock Hotel was built and opened by the Seymour-Smiths in 1946. The Seymour-Smiths were a well-known local family who decided after the Second World War that a need existed for a holiday hotel at the top of the Bvumba Mountains.
When opened, the hotel offered accommodation for up to 40 guests, reached by travelling up a gravel road which climbed hundreds of metres from Umtali and wound through the mountainsides. A simple but amusing nine-hole golf course was built on the hotel’s estate and the hotel promoted itself as a venue for people who enjoyed the invigorating climate and communing with nature.
As part of the 1953 Royal Tour, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret stayed at the hotel and were so taken with the hotel and its spectacular surroundings that she was inspired to pen these words for posterity; “There is nowhere more beautiful in Africa.”
Leopard Rock Hotel was then purchased by the Taberer family in the 1990s and a major expansion project was undertaken, which saw the construction of a new bedroom block –increasing the number of available rooms and suites to accommodate 120 guests. The hotel is now owned and operated by Cambria Africa plc previously Lonzim.’
In 2011 and 2012, the hotel was named Best Resort Hotel in Zimbabwe by the Association of Zimbabwean Travel Agents in their respected annual awards event. In 2013, CNN Travel named the Leopard Rock golf course one of Africa’s 10 best golf courses.