Since December, 2015, the Rhodesian Study Circle has transitioned itself from an established philatelic society to one catered for the 21st Century collector. With thousands of images and over 5,500 pages of philatelic items, we are combining philately with the colourful history of Central Africa to help support you in building your collections.
If you have any questions, comments, feedback or information, please Contact Us.
A few menu options under EXPLORE have changed to better reflect the contents.
Advertising Covers is now Business (now including business revenue documents/business cinderellas)
Airmail is now Transport (now including sea & rail travel)
Missions is now Religion (to reflect religious institutions/general religions etc)
The Manica Trading Company Ltd was founded in Beira, Portuguese East Africa in 1890 by Julius Alston and Joseph Van Praagh. With its base in Beira, a branch was established at Old Umtali, Rhodeisa. In 1892, the company was floated.
Operations were carried on as General Merchants, Importers and Agents and soon another branch was opened in Salisbury. Julius Alston moved his residence to Salisbury and eventually in 1903 left Rhodesia for Melbourne, Australia and never returned. Further stores were opened in Bulawayo, Fort Victoria and Charter.
The first business relied on the import of all kinds of goods and on the establishment of business relations with a large number of shipping agencies. Its business stability, however, firmed its position in the years of the two World Wars, during which the situation was completely unfavourable to business expansion. The first great moment of consolidation took place during the 1st World War, both in Beira and in Southern Africa, through the increase of exports of goods – chrome, minerals, sugar, maize, cotton and rubber – from Africa to Europe.
In 1927, in the verge of a new depression context that erupted in 1929 and brought down the economy, Manica managed to close a contract deal for freight services of vast quantities of tobacco. Its prominence in the transport of tobacco along with the new challenge of air services led the company to enter the business of travel services, a service requested by many of Manica’s customers. Increased activity resulted in the opening of a travel agency, a relevant element in the organization’s portfolio.
In the 1950’s, the geographic universe of the company’s operations covered the entire region of Southern Africa, and Manica was involved in exports to destinies such as Europe, Venezuela and Japan.
In November, 2000, Manica went through a profound structural change, as part of a regional initiative, and became a totally Mozambican company. The Manica Trading Company is one of the oldest commercial enterprises. Due to it’s commercial activities, it continues to flourish, and it toady mainly concerned with
forwarding, insurance and similar activities.
The Mozambique Company (Companhia de Moçambique) was a royal company operating in Portuguese Mozambique that had the concession of the lands in the Portuguese colony corresponding to the present provinces of Manica and Sofala in central Mozambique.
The company was established on 11th February, 1891 with acapital stock from financiers from Germany, the United Kingdom and South Africa. Its headquarters was located in Beira, where it controlled the public administration and the post offices. The company also founded a private bank, the Banco da Beira, which issued currency in pounds.
The concession was granted for a period of 50 years, during which the company could not only exploit the resources and existing manpower but also grant sub-concessions. The company was granted the exclusive right to collect taxes, but was itself granted a 25-year tax exemption. In return the Portuguese state would receive 7.5% of the company’s profits and 10% of the sold shares. The company was also required to settle 1,000 Portuguese families and provide education and public administration in its territory.
In practice, the company made only partial use of the prerogatives with which it had been bestowed; but this was balanced by the fact that it also met very few of its obligations. Having only limited capital, the company did little to develop the area, deriving most of its income from its ability to tax and its power to use conscripted labour on its plantations and for lease to adjacent estates.
Resistance to the forced labour regime was a major cause of rebellions against the company which occurred in 1902 and 1917. Despite the company’s obligation under its charter to provide forces to maintain law and order, it was unable to meet these crises, and on both occasions Portugal had to mount expensive interventions.
Because of its bad performance and because of the shift, under the Salazar regime, towards Portuguese control and away from international control of the economy, the company’s concession was not renewed when it ran out in 1942. On 18 July 1942, the territory of Manica and Sofala passed to the Portuguese colonial authorities and the Mozambique Company continued to operate in the agricultural and commercial sectors.
On 20 October 1961, The Mozambique Company became the Grupo Entreposto Comercial de Moçambique, which transformed itself into a holding on 6 September 1972, with the participation of capital from other companies, including Entreposto-Gestão e Participações (SGPS) SA.
R.S. Cotton was the local representative in Bulawayo and was a major player in the building in the Limpopo Railway.