Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Luanshya/Ndola

In 1902, prospector/explorer, William Collier, shot and killed a Roan Antelope on the banks of the Luanshya River, discovering a copper deposit in the process. The antelope fell to the ground, its head resting on a rock where an exposed seam of copper ore was visible. The mining company eventually formed to exploit Collier’s find was Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd.

In 1927, Roan Antelope Copper Mines was incorporated by Rhodesian Selection Trust Group to develop a mine, concentrator and smelter at the site. The first ore was hoisted 4 years later commencing production that continued until 2000. On 1st July, 1954, Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd ceased to be organised under the British Corporations Act and became incorporated under the Northern Rhodesia Company Ordinance. The peak production was in 1960 with 105,000 tonnes of copper.

The Zambian copper industry, including Roan Antelope, was nationalised in 1970, culminating in the formation of Zambian Consolidated Copper Mines in 1982. However, following the privatisation program that the Zambian government instituted in 1997, Roan Antelope was bought by an Indian based group that formed Roan Antelope Mining Corporation of Zambia, which was placed in receivership in late 2000.

Following heavy rains in 2001, the Luanshya dam overflowed, the Luanshya workings were flooded and the mine was officially closed permanently.

Branches

Share Certificates

Reference

Contributors
  • Keith Harrop

FB

Caltex (Africa) Ltd

Caltex (Africa) Ltd

Salisbury

 

Caltex is a petroleum brand name of Chevron Corporation used in more than 60 countries in the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East, and Southern Africa. It started in Southern Africa as the Texas Company (S.A.) Ltd before changing to Caltex (Africa) Ltd in 1941, then to Caltex Oil (S.A.) Ltd in 1964.

With the Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI), sanctions imposed by the United Nations Security Council on Rhodesia on 16th December, 1966 (extended in 1968 to a total economic boycott) saw oil directed from South Africa into Rhodesia in violation of the sanctions by British companies Shell and BP in arrangement with Caltex and Mobil. In 1972, the name changed to Caltex Oil (S.A.) Pty Ltd.

On 11th December, 1978, the Caltex refinery in Salisbury caught fire. A ZANLA unit penetrated the outskirts of Salisbury and fired a volley of rockets and incendiary device rounds into the main oil storage depot – the most heavily defended economic asset in the country. The storage tanks burned for five days, giving off a column of smoke that could be seen 80 miles (130 km) away. Half a million barrels of petroleum product (comprising Rhodesia’s strategic oil reserve) were lost.

Postcards

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Keith Harrop

A. F. Philip & Co Ltd

A. F. Philip & Co Ltd

Bulawayo/Livingstone/Salisbury

The Philips were descendants of the Scottish missionary and superintendent of the London Missionary Society, Dr John Philip. The business began as timber importers in Port Elizabeth and extended it through Bulawayo to Livingstone where they had a branch by 1914. Their timber manager was W E Tongue, and their manager in Livingstone was C S ‘Charlie’ Knight.

In 1916, a partnership between Messrs Tombous, Salisbury, Jacobs Limited, Messrs A. F. Philips and Co (Bulawayo), and W. E. Tongue (Southern Rhodesia) formed the Zambezi Sawmills  to exploit forests of Rhodesian Teak on the north bank of the Zambezi above Livingstone.

A.F. Philip & Company became United Builders Merchants Ltd. in 1960 and is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. United Builders Merchants Ltd. formerly operated as subsidiary of Radar Holdings Ltd. United Builders Merchants Ltd. distributes building materials and hardware products in Zimbabwe. It offers building, hardware, and plumbing products.

Branches

Reference

  • An African Trading Empire: The Story of Susman Brothers and Wulfson, 1901-2005 – Hugh Macmillian
Contributors
  • James Gavin

FB

Royal Tour: 1925 Prince of Wales

Royal Tour

1925 – Prince of Wales

The young Prince of Wales, later to abdicate as King Edward VIII, visited South Africa in 1925.

It was a grand affair with large welcomes at the all the extravagantly decorated towns he visited between his arrival on April 30th and his departure almost 3 months later on 29th July.

Using two beautiful carriages built by the South African Railways, the Royal Party toured Southern Africa visiting Cape Province, the Orange Free State, Basutoland, Natal, Transvaal, Swaziland, Southern & Northern Rhodesia and the Bechuanaland Protectorate. The Prince met local Royalty, visited Victoria Falls, played Golf and enjoyed exuberant African welcomes throughout his visit.

Itinerary

Postcards

Post Office & Postmarks

References

Contributors
  • Geoff Brakspear
  • Adam Goulding
  • James Gavin

FB

Hunting Clan African Airways Ltd

Hunting Clan African Airways Ltd

Salisbury

Hunting Clan African Airways was the African arm of Hunting-Clan Airways, UK. The roots of the company go back to 1st January 1946 when Hunting Air Travel (HAT) was founded by three members of the Hunting Family, one of which was a member of the Royal Flying Corps in WW 1. Although a wholly independent British airline, it was actually part of the Hunting Group of companies, which had emerged from the shipping industry, dating back to the 19th Century.

On February 28, 1955 the subsidiary Hunting-Clan African Airways, Ltd. (HCAA) is formed at Salisbury, Rhodesia, to provide Africargo Avro York all-cargo services from London and Manchester.

First Flight Covers

Postcards

Contributors
  • Chris Halse

1932 – First Regular Mail Service to Cape Town

First Regular Mail Service to Cape Town

20 January – 2nd February 1932

Flight Details

First Flight Covers

References

FB

Imperial Airways Ltd

Imperial Airways Ltd

Bulawayo

In 1924, four fledgling airlines, including Daimler Airways (a successor to AT&T) merge to form Imperial Airways Limited, operating from the new London airport at Croydon to all corners of the British Empire and the Continent. Imperial Airways had an office in Bulawayo.

Events

People

Contributors
  • James Gavin

FB

The African Lakes Corporation Limited

The African Lakes Corporation Limited

Livingstone, Northern Rhodesia, Nyasaland, Glasgow

The African Lakes Corporation plc (ALC) was a British company originally set-up in 1877 by Scottish businessmen to co-operate with missions in Nyasaland. Despite its original connections with the Free Church of Scotland, it operated its businesses in Africa on a commercial rather than a philanthropic basis, and it had political ambitions in the 1880s to control part of Central Africa.

Its businesses in the colonial era included water transport on the lakes and rivers of Central Africa, wholesale and retail trading including the operation of general stores, labour recruitment, landowning and later an automotive business. The company later diversified, but suffered an economic decline in the 1990s and was liquidated in 2007. It may be referred to as just “African Green Lakes”.

Postcards

Other Publishers

Reference

Contributors
  • Keith Harrop
  • Walter Herdzik
  • James Gavin
  • Stuart Ross

FB

1 31 32 33 34