The Companhia da Zambezia was established on 25 May 1892. The Companhia da Zambézia was the third leasing company of the Portuguese colony of Mozambique. The company concentrated mainly on agriculture and livestock as well as salt. In the agricultural sector, the company operated palm, sisal and maize plantations. However, it was also the largest corporation interested in transportation in Zambesia.
The company occupied the areas of Chire, bordering Nyasaland, and the future Northern Rhodesia, between Zumbo and Luenha. It was born from the merger of the Society of Founders of the Companhia Geral da Zambézia (1880) with the Central Africa and Zouthamberg Exploration Company. The company had no privileges because it was a concessionaire (or lessee).
It explored part of the territories of Zambezia and Tete; it was one of the most extensive companies and subdued the existing companies in Quelimane. The company was a machine for conquering unruly land in the district of Tete and then Quelimane, where they extracted the capitation tax (mussoco) and the workers for agricultural work. With the progress of the “pacification” of the highlands of Quelimane and Angónia, they quickly revealed themselves as reservoirs of labor imported to South Africa and later to São Tomé.
Walker Bros, a Blantyre firm, enjoyed a concession from the company to bring Lomwe, from Mozambique, into the Shire Highlands, with the purpose of hiring them out to transport companies and planters. Between 1900-1903 between 15,000 to 30,000 Lomwe came to the Blantyre and Chiradzulu districts. The company established a branch at Blantyre c.1900 under the General Manager, Louis Winkleman.
The Daughters of Wisdom is a group belonging to the Montfort Missionaries. They arrived in British Central Africa in 1904 and continue assisting in the development of health and education sectors in Malawi.
The Montfort Missionaries is a missionary religious congregation within the Roman Catholic Church. The community was founded by Saint Louis de Montfort in 1705. The congregation is made up of priests and brothers who serve both in the native lands and in other countries.
The Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith confided evangelization of British Central Africa to the missionaries of the Company of Mary.
On 28th June, 1901, the first three missionaries of the Montfort Fathers arrived at Blantyre and on 25th July began their first mission in Angoniland. The Vicariate Apostolic of Nyasa, erected in 1897, had jurisdiction over part of modern Zambia and was entrusted to the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers). A Vicariate was a form of territorial jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church centered in missionary regions and countries where a diocese has not yet been established.
In 1903, the mission became the Prefecture Apostolic of Shire (a ‘pre-diocesan’ missionary jurisdiction where the Catholic Church is not yet sufficiently developed to have it made a diocese) and was formed from the The Vicariate Apostolic of Nyasa (who had jurisdiction over parts of modern Zambia and was entrusted to the White Fathers).
One of the Monfort Missionaries, Rev. Father Prezeau, former missionary of the Diocese of Kingston, Canada, was elected the first Apostolic prefect. Already four stations had been founded, and numerous schools established in all directions spread the Christian doctrine.
The Vicariate Apostolic of Shiré was an Apostolic vicariate located in Nyasaland Protectorate, Africa.
On 15 April 1908, Pope Pius X erected the prefecture into a vicariate Apostolic with Mgr Auguste Prezeau (1871-1909) of the Missionaries of the Company of Mary (Montfort Missionaries) as the first vicar.
On 4 May 1910, Mgr Louis Joseph Marie Auneau (1876-1959) received from Rome the notification of his elevation to the dignity of Apostolic vicariate. Mgr Auneau was consecrated at Chilubula, Northern Rhodesia, by Mgr Dupont of the Society of Missionaries of Africa (Missionari d’ Africa /White Fathers), 1 November 1910.
On 15 May 1952, the Apostolic Vicariate of Shiré was renamed as the Apostolic Vicariate of Blantyre. In 1959 it was promoted as the Archdiocese of Blantyre.
Although the A J Storey’s name does not appear on these cards, the photos are attributed to him in other types. The cards have no descriptions, but those with an asterix reflect descriptions seen on later series.