In RSCJ 279, there was an article by Robert Gallimore adding to the list of known CTO’s on Double Heads. This adds to the work already done in this area. In June 1987, Robert M. Gibbs and Stephen Reichek published a list of the Double Head “remainders”; stamps left in the London Offices of the B.S.A.C. at the conclusion of their operations in Rhodesia [see RSCJ 138 (June 1987)]. The devices produced for this operation were 1) double circle with arcs joined (DCAJ) for Bulawayo with six different dates; 2) double circle (DC) for Gwelo with six different dates and 3) double circle with arcs joined (DCAJ) for Salisbury with six different dates – the sixth date was only added in 2010, after it appeared in the appendices to Rhodesia – The Bi-Coloured Doubleheads 1910-1914, Edition XI by Stephen Reah-Johnson and Alan J. Hanks . The quantity of duties available varied from a low of 174 of the 2d duty to a high of 16,757 for the 1d duty. These “cancelled to order” Double Heads were regarded as being not worthy of consideration by many collectors when they appeared on the market. Since that time, numerous other discoveries have added to the list. In RSCJ 246/55, Alan J. Hanks and Peter Merrick, came together and published yet another comprehensive list. Since that date, a few new discoveries have been added, mostly noted in the Journal.
We now again publish an updated comprehensive list including all the new discoveries. This list will be updated on a regular basis. This will also act as a useful tool for the continuing and new collectors in this area.
Hama is named after Chief Hama’s village in the Chilimanzi Reserve (Tribal Trust Land), located south of Mvuma (Umvuma) in Chirumhanzu District, Midlands Province.
In 1912, Jesuits started St. Joseph’s Mission. Chief Hama initially welcomed the Jesuits, but later opposed their efforts. Nonetheless, between 1914 and 1916, the Jesuits opened a number of schools within a few miles of the mission and baptized approximately 200 new converts.
The Legion Mine, about eighty-five miles due south of Bulawayo, was pegged on the site of ancient workings known in the very early history of Matabeleland. Thomas Maddocks first pegged the claims in 1894.
In 1895 the claimes were re-pegged as the Mystery Claims. They changed hands several
times until 1920, when Mr. D. H. Robinson re-pegged the old Mystery Claims as the Legion.
Legion Mine was originally a Post Agency under Gwanda, then later Antelope Mine. Initial service was by mail cart or coach from Antelope Mine.
1927.08.07 – Opened as Postal Agency.
1947.03.01 – Regraded as a Post and Telegraph Agency.
Visit of the British Association for the Advancement of Science
Two special postmarks were used as part of the Visit of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1905.
SE 3 1905
Type I – Tour Cancellation
The Tour Cancellation was used in both South Africa and Rhodesia on the 9th, 11th and 14th of September. The cancels are found in violet up until the 13 Sept, and black for the 14 Sept.
28 AUG 1905
29 AUG 1905
1 – SEP 1905
SEP 9 1905
SEP 11 1905
SEP 14 1905
Type II – Opening of the Victoria Falls Bridge
September 12th was the opening day for the Victoria Falls road/rail bridge as well as being public holiday. Therefore, the Victoria Falls Post Office was only open for two hours to commemorate the visit of the Association (for whose benefit the special cancel was used).
1953 – Central African Rhodes Centenary Exhibition
Temporary Registration Label
It appears that postal services were established at the Central African Rhodes Centenary Exhibition before the official opening on 30 May for the workers. A temporary registration label was noted as early as 7 May 1953. The strike was in purple and followed by a hand-written number.
There were four different registration counters with a special registration cachet block No.1-4. Only counter No.2 used black ink while the others are purple. Counter 1 & 3 appear to have manually entered the registration number while Counter 2 & 4 used stamped numbers.