Southern Rhodesia: Department of Posts & Telegraphs – Postal Notice No.18 of 1938

Departments of Posts and Telegraphs

Postal Notice No.18 of 1938

Details

  • Date: 25 April 1938
  • Notice: 18/1938

Southern Rhodesia: Department of Posts & Telegraphs – Postal Notice No.17 of 1940

Departments of Posts and Telegraphs

Postal Notice No.17 of 1940

Details

  • Date: 16 March 1940
  • Notice: 17/1940

Government Stationery: 2341

Government Stationery

2341

Details

  • Date of Issue: 28 July, 1955
  • Dept: Savings Bank
  • Reqn.: 2341
  • Printer: Government Printing & Stationery
  • Paper:
  • Quantity: 5,000

FB

Hama

Hama

Hama is named after Chief Hama’s village in the Chilimanzi Reserve (Tribal Trust Land), located south of Mvuma (Umvuma) in Chirumhanzu District, Midlands Province.

In 1912, Jesuits started St. Joseph’s Mission. Chief Hama initially welcomed the Jesuits, but later opposed their efforts. Nonetheless, between 1914 and 1916, the Jesuits opened a number of schools within a few miles of the mission and baptized approximately 200 new converts.

Postal Services

  • 1975.07.01 – Opened as a Postal Agency.
  • 1978.09.13 – Closed following an attack during the Bush War.
  • 1980.11.17 – Re-opened.

Postmarks

FB

Blue Gum Mine

Blue Gum Mine

 

Blue Gum Mine was located on the farm of Zhombe. The Blue Gum Mine was first worked in 1913 and 1914, when 243 ounces of gold were extracted from 1,250 tons of ore.

In 1939 a radio telephone was installed at the mine which was of benefit, particularly when the Umniati River flooded.

Postal Services

The Telegraph Office was in operation during the construction of the dam on the Ngondoma River, 5 miles (9-km) NW of Empress Mine in the Gokwe area.

  • 1941.11.17 – Opened as Telegraph Office.
  • 1962.01.12 – Closed.

Postmarks

No postmarks have been seen.

Reference

  • Reports of the Chief Mining Engineer, 1939
  • Rhodesia Geological Survey, Volumes 22-39, 1927

Legion Mine

Legion Mine

Gwanda District

 

The Legion Mine, about eighty-five miles due south of Bulawayo, was pegged on the site of ancient workings known in the very early history of Matabeleland. Thomas Maddocks first pegged the claims in 1894.

In 1895 the claimes were re-pegged as the Mystery Claims. They changed hands several
times until 1920, when Mr. D. H. Robinson re-pegged the old Mystery Claims as the Legion.

Postal Services

Legion Mine was originally a Post Agency under Gwanda, then later Antelope Mine. Initial service was by mail cart or coach from Antelope Mine.

  • 1927.08.07 – Opened as Postal Agency.
  • 1947.03.01 – Regraded as a Post and Telegraph Agency.
  • 1964.03.01 – Regraded as a Postal Agency.
  • 1965.06.04 – Closed.

Postmarks

 

References

Government Stationery: 71056

Government Stationery

71056

Details

  • Date of Issue: 14 August 1941
  • Dept: Government Printing Office
  • Reqn.: 71056
  • Printer: 
  • Quantity:

FB

Government Stationery: 4596

Government Stationery:

4596

Details

  • Date of Issue: 
  • Dept: General Post Office
  • Reqn.: 4596
  • Printer: 
  • Paper:
  • Quantity:

FB

Government Stationery: 388

Government Stationery:

388

Details

  • Date of Issue: April 1961
  • Dept: General Post Office
  • Reqn.: 119
  • Printer: P & T
  • Paper:
  • Quantity: 28,000

FB

Government Stationery: 20242

Government Stationery

20242

Details

  • Date of Issue: 26 August 1965
  • Dept: Post Office Savings Bank
  • Reqn.: 20242
  • Printer: Government Printing & Stationery
  • Paper:
  • Quantity: 20,000

FB

1 2 3 4 19