- Date of Issue: 28 July, 1955
- Dept: Savings Bank
- Reqn.: 2341
- Printer: Government Printing & Stationery
- Quantity: 5,000
Hama is named after Chief Hama’s village in the Chilimanzi Reserve (Tribal Trust Land), located south of Mvuma (Umvuma) in Chirumhanzu District, Midlands Province.
In 1912, Jesuits started St. Joseph’s Mission. Chief Hama initially welcomed the Jesuits, but later opposed their efforts. Nonetheless, between 1914 and 1916, the Jesuits opened a number of schools within a few miles of the mission and baptized approximately 200 new converts.
Blue Gum Mine was located on the farm of Zhombe. The Blue Gum Mine was first worked in 1913 and 1914, when 243 ounces of gold were extracted from 1,250 tons of ore.
In 1939 a radio telephone was installed at the mine which was of benefit, particularly when the Umniati River flooded.
The Telegraph Office was in operation during the construction of the dam on the Ngondoma River, 5 miles (9-km) NW of Empress Mine in the Gokwe area.
No postmarks have been seen.
The Legion Mine, about eighty-five miles due south of Bulawayo, was pegged on the site of ancient workings known in the very early history of Matabeleland. Thomas Maddocks first pegged the claims in 1894.
In 1895 the claimes were re-pegged as the Mystery Claims. They changed hands several
times until 1920, when Mr. D. H. Robinson re-pegged the old Mystery Claims as the Legion.
Legion Mine was originally a Post Agency under Gwanda, then later Antelope Mine. Initial service was by mail cart or coach from Antelope Mine.
It appears that postal services were established at the Central African Rhodes Centenary Exhibition before the official opening on 30 May for the workers. A temporary registration label was noted as early as 7 May 1953. The strike was in purple and followed by a hand-written number.
There were four different registration counters with a special registration cachet block No.1-4. Only counter No.2 used black ink while the others are purple. Counter 1 & 3 appear to have manually entered the registration number while Counter 2 & 4 used stamped numbers.
Two different commemorative postmarks were used. Type 1 (D.C. 33mm/25mm) was used from registration counters No.1 – 3. Type 2 (D.C. 30mm/20mm) was used at counter No.4.
Postal Services – Counter 4