Established in 1929, Cairns Ltd originally was a show room employing two Europeans and an native African. It was owned by Bernard Moverley “Bunny” Cairns. Cairns was born on the 24th September, 1895 in Durban, KwaZulu/Natal, South Africa.
In 1936, Cairns Ltd lent ‘one of the earliest motor cars in Southern Rhodesia’ for the 1936 Empire Exhibition in Johannesburg.
By 1950, the business catered for workshops, service lines, vehicle, electrical appliances and spares showrooms. They were the distributors in Mashonaland for Bexford, Vauxhall Chevrolet, Buick, Hoover and Frigidaire home appliances.