British South Africa Company: Mazoe Citrus Estates
British South Africa Company
Mazoe Citrus Estates
The first citrus estates began to be pioneered by the British South Africa Company in 1910 with the first commercial citrus estate was established in 1914 in the Mazoe Valley, 25 miles north of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. By 1923 further estates were later established at Umtali, Sinoia, and later expanding to Hippo Valley.
In March 1965, the Anglo American Company was formed to acquire the Mazoe Citrus Estates from the British South Africa Company. At the time, the estate had over 273,000 trees and mainly produced concentrated juices and citrus oils mainly for the United Kingdom. Dried peel and pulp waste was used for cattle feed.