Avondale Village Management Board

Avondale Village Management Board

 

Avondale Farm was purchased from J.H. Kennedy by Alfred Blackburn in 1903. In 1910, Blackburn subdivided the land into 25 acre residential plots. Avondale was declared a village on 15th June, 1911 with the new suburbs of Emerald Hill and Kensington being formed within the original farm boundary.

Avondale remained an autonomous suburb of Salisbury, administered by a Village Management Board, until 18th May 1934, when it was incorporated into Salisbury Municipality. The vote to join the city was carried by a majority of 13 only after it was agreed residents would get electricity.

Revenue

References

Connect with us!