Argus Printing & Publishing Company Ltd
Argus Printing and Publishing Company Ltd
The Argus Printing & Publishing Company Ltd. was a subsidiary of the Argus Company of South Africa who were based in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
In June, 1891, the Argus Company sent William Ernest Fairbridge to Fort Salisbury to obtain reports about the settlement to send back to Britain. On 27th June, 1891, he filled a German sausage with glue and treacle, and using it as a roller, printed the first copies of The Mashonaland Herald (later to become the Mashonaland and Zambesian Times).
After working a year printing from a mud hut, Fairbridge imported more modern equipment by ox wagon from the South, and on 20th October, 1892, the Mashoanaland Herald and Zambesian Times became the Rhodesian Herald. Between 1894 and 1923, the company printed the British South Africa Company Government Gazette, which until 30th June, 1899 was a supplement to the Rhodesian Herald.
By 12th October, 1894, they had established their printing works on the south-west corner of Rhodes Street and Eleventh Avenue, Bulawayo and began publishing the Bulawayo Chronicle under the editorship of John W. Howard.
Later, the company had a subsidiary branch in Southern Rhodesia know as the Rhodesian Printing and Publishing Company.
In 1981, the Herald was bought by the Government using a $20 milllion grant from Nigeria and was operated as Zimbabwe Newspapers Ltd.
- The Press of Africa: Persecution and Perseverance – F Barton
- The Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.244
- Richard Barnett
- Sean Burke
- Terry Cowlard
- Malcolm Murphy
- Andrew Wilkie
- Geoff Brakspear