2018 Southern Africa Philately Conference
Southern African Philatelic Societies Joint Conference
The Southern African Philatelic Societies Joint Conference is an opportunity for all philatelic fans to come and meet representatives from various southern African philatelic societies based in the UK.
Whether you are a beginner or expert, there will be something for everyone.
Societies that usually take part include:
- Anglo-Boer War Philatelic Society
- Bechuanalands & Botswana Society
- Cape & Natal Study Circle
- Orange Free State Study Circle
- Rhodesian Study Circle
- South Africa Collectors’ Society
- Transvaal Study Circle, and
- GB Overprints Society (with interest in Bechuanaland and Zululand issues).
Accommodation is available at the Strawberry Bank Hotel. Facilities and plenty of bedrooms are available on the ground floor. It is close to junction 6 of the M42, the nearest large railway station is Birmingham International, on the West Coast and London Midland lines and it is only 4.5 miles from Birmingham Airport, should you be travelling from further afield.
If you wish to stay at the hotel, the rooms will cost £60 for bed & breakfast for single occupancy plus appx. £21 for a three course dinner.
Rhodesian Study Circle
Members of the Rhodesian Study Circle are expected to be attending this event.
The South African Collector’s Society will be holding an auction to coincide with the event.
Dealers attending include Paul van Zeyl, David Morrison, Chris Rainey, Otto Peetoom & Simon Peetoom.
Friday, 2nd November
- 18:30 – Gather in bar
- 19:00 – Dinner
Saturday, 3rd November
The afternoon session is given over to the Cape & Natal Society. Bob Hill and Robert Johnson have coordinated a number of different displays that will cover a range of different subjects. Ian Shapiro will be giving an airing to a collection not seen in quite a number of years.
- 9:00 – Doors Open
- 9:50 – Welcome & Introduction – Simon Peetoom
- 10:00 – “Tales of the Mails” – Brian Trotter
- 11.00 – Tea & Coffee break
- 11.30 – Houses of Parliament – Ian Shapiro
- 12:30 – Lunch Break – Buffet
- 13.45 – Cape & Natal Society – A series of mini-displays
- 14:45 – Tea & Coffee break (time may slightly vary)
- 16:45 – Expected end of day.
- 18:30 – Gather in the bar
- 19:30 – Dinner in the Meriden Suite
Sunday 4th November
Auction items available for viewing throughout Saturday & Sunday. The auction will not start until all of the bidders are back from lunch.
Please inform Nick upon arrival if you are intending to bid.
- 9:00 – Doors Open
- 9.45 – Attendees bring-along displays
- 11:00 – Tea & Coffee break
- 11:30 – Attendees bring-along displays
- 13:00 – Lunch break
- 13:45 – Auction – Nick Arrow
Close of conference at the end of the auction.