1960 – Central African Trade Fair
Central African Trade Fair
11th – 12th May, 1960
The first Central African Trade Fair was opened on 11th May, 1960, by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.
The original site had been used since 1899 as the Agricultural Showgrounds but was expanded between 1959-1960 to 64 acres after additional land was acquired from Bulawayo Municipality. New road, electrical and sewerage schemes were installed and a new exhibition hall, the Tony Ellman-Brown Hall, was built.
The total cost of these new additions was over £250 million. In addition to the money spent on new infrastructure, thousands more pounds were spent by individual exhibitors and countries on the construction of prestige pavilions.
From 1969, it became known as Trade Fair Rhodesia.
- One Hundred Years of Industry in Bulawayo