1951 – Nyasaland Diamond Jubilee Exhibition
Nyasaland Diamond Jubilee Exhibition
7th – 21st July, 1951
As part of Nysaland’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the Central African Archives hosted an exhibition at the Limbe Convent School. The exhibition was opened by the acting Governor, C. W. F. Footman.
The exhibition was divided into 10 sections; Discovery of Africa, Explorers, Slave Trade, Missions, Consuls, Transport and Communications, Police and Military, Press, Adminstration, and Trade and Development. The Nyasaland Society staged a display with various native artefacts.
The Nyasaland Postal Department was also present, providing facilities for sending commemorative covers stamped with Diamond Jubilee stamps. The covers were stamped with the original ‘Chiromo’ stamp (the first stamp used in Nyasaland). The mail was then dispatched to the Blantyre Post Office by a messenger dressed in a uniform similar to that worn by the mail-carrier in the early days.
After the exhibition ended, the exhibits were stored at the Provincial Commissioner’s Office in Blantyre in hope they would be used as a basis for a Nyasaland Museum by the Nyasaland Society.
- The Nyasaland Journal Vol.4 No.2 1951